Sunday, April 13, 2008

The smile you smile

There is this customer at work. She isn't a regular, but she does come in from time to time. She is an elder lady probably in her 60's and is always with her husband. The thing about her is that she has never smiled at me. Some people were born smilers, or maybe they are just happier than most, I don't know. But this lady isn't one of those. She just seems to have one of those faces that doesn't smile on a regular basis. Sure, she smiles when around friends of hers, but to me, the unknown server of her coffee, a smile has never been received. That may sound weird, after all, probably a majority of the customers don't, and I most surely am not always smiling back either. But I kind of know her, not personally, but of her, and we know a lot of the same people. She knows all my friends, and they all know her. So I guess I kind of feel like we should have this connection or something, but no one has introduced us (not that they really have any reason to), and so to her, I am just there to serve coffee. So I serve her like usual, maybe with an extra bit of courtesy thinking that we might know each other someday and want to have a good reputation to build off, and she isn't particularly rude at all, but she isn't nice in any way either. Then my friend Caleb (whom she knows) will walk up and she will be all smiles and friendly as ever. Then, done with Caleb, she turns back to me in her non smiling, borderline frowning face. It seems to be this way every time I see her. This kind of gets to me: I want a smile. She seems in short supply of them, but I want one. I want something about me to be able to bring out a smile in someone else, and no better person to try on than a person who is not a habitual smiler. Her husband is all smiles and as friendly as anyone, and has even introduced himself to me, but her, a smile seems to rarely crack except for good reason. So I have a goal; make this woman smile at me, and at me only. And not just one of those yeah I'm pretending to be nice, fake smiles (I don't think she does those anyways, which might be a good thing), but a real genuine I am happy you are a part of my life at this moment smile, which is probably rarely given to a stranger from anyone. I have some rules for this goal which are these:


1. I can't use the "we know the same people" approach. Thats too easy and anyone smiles in a situation like that.

2. Likewise, I can't be introduced to her. I won't allow it. Everyone smiles when introduced, or at least they should. After all, the best way to make a good first impression to people is to be smiling. No one likes a frowner.

3. She can have no preconceived notion of me being someone she should be nice to. I must be a complete stranger. I have to bring out this smile by my simple charm and nothing else. This may be difficult to uphold since she has seen me a number of times now and even in places outside the coffeeshops employee-customer scenario, but a smile was not received there either.

So there you have it, my latest goal in life, to bring a smile out in an elder lady. I hope it doesn't sound like I am trying to get a smile from an old hag or anything like that. I know of nothing but good things about this person and she is no doubt as friendly as I am. I know plenty well that I am not all smiles, especially during my commute to and from school when, after a late night of homework, I want people on the bus to just leave me alone and sit next to anybody but me. But these are just my personal experiences with her thus far, and I want to change them myself without the help of others. It should probably be a regular practice to try to make people smile, but lets just start out with this. I don't know what I will do to achieve this the next time I see her, but I hope something will come to me. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

kylee said...

i think from the description, that you are talking of my grandma Barbara. i was laughing while reading as I know this smiling naturally is a challenge for my grandma, even to people she chooses to love.
i wish you luck! i want so much to tell her to smile, but will let you keep your rules.
See she is one who waits for others to approach her...I am sure your kind, smiling hi will eventually rub off. (even if it's not my grandma)

shaun said...

Yes Kylee it is your grandma. I am amazed that you were able to figure that out. I didn't even know if you would ever read this and much less figure out it was your grandma if you did. I thought I would be in the clear, but I guess I was too descriptive for my own good. Thanks for letting me keep my rules. I too am usually one who waits for others to approach, so I know where she's coming from. Though she does seem short on smiles, I can tell from her interactions with others that she is a nice, kindhearted woman. So hopefully we will be friends after our next encounter, whenever that may be.

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious to me.
Mostly because I know exactly what you mean, but I'm on the other side of the fence...the side that receives the smiles. I think it's because she knows I took kylee on her first date.
Did you know that shaun?!
That's right. I picked her up, took her to a Dudes of Plenty concert (a band that caleb and I were both in), and stopped by moxie java on the way home. When Quinet found out she was 14 (i think i was 17 at the time...), she told me I was grounded from talking to her.

Kylee didn't buy that story for years...until she met quinet :-]

thefamousnic said...

Give her a compliment. She'll probably smile at that if it's the right one. Not something overwhelming, a simple compliment. If that doesn't work, just hug her.

shaun said...

Yes Chad, I did know that. Kylee was just talking about that a few weeks ago saying how polite you were. You may have told me that a long time ago as well, but not sure. Just that the whole Dudes of Plenty thing sounds really familiar. Thanks for the tips Nic. I think I might try for the hug.

kylee said...

that was nice to remember chad! i think you were 16. you were so kind you only walked me halfway to the door to not give off the wrong idea. I wondered if all dates were like that, a little disappointed.:)
thanks for a great first date.