Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Here Today

The other night I had a dream I was back in high school. It was at basketball practice and we were preparing for a big game. It was exciting. Practicing with all the old high school friends and coach Bernie with all of us working towards a goal. It was fun. When I woke up I had no idea what year it was, how old I was, what state I was in, what day of the week it was, or what I was supposed to do that day. Took me probably a good 20 seconds to sort that all out: 2008, 23 (really! already?!), Idaho (What room is this? definitely not my old California bedroom I am in... oh yeah), Monday, and I work on Mondays. The dream seemed real enough to confuse me that much. It was weird.

Yesterday I daydreamed of the future. I was visiting home for a big family gathering . It was at Aunt Mary and Uncle Lori's house as they always have been. Aunt Mary still called me Baby Shaun as she always has, and Uncle Lori gave a good long speech and prayer as he usually does, but with me was something new, a wife and kids. Crazy, I thought, seems so unfathomable, but that just may happen someday. Everyone was there, and instead of me wandering around by myself, as a single member of a big family, occasionally mingling with others, I was now a small group of people that were members of a much larger group. Pretty vivid for a daydream I suppose; I really thought it out. It was weird to imagine.

Today I will live in the moment. I will go out and enjoy the day. I will get done what I need to, and I will enjoy The Invasion concert tonight alongside countless good friends.

No comments: