Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Those Were The Days

It seems I have reached that age when I can say, "well back in my day...." Of course I realize how young I really still am, but my how things have changed since my childhood. A few weeks back I was with friends reminiscing about the popular music of our younger days and how great it is compared to todays pop music. I must say I somewhat enjoy that feeling of superiority to the younger generations. Nobody born after 1995 can say they know what life without cell phones, computers, or internet was like and countless other things just like that. My philosophy professor always talks about how it is his dream to become the old man who sits on his front yard in a lawn chair with hose in hand ready to spray any youngin who dares step on his lawn, and then to go for a walk only to stop and stare at the local neighborhood construction site for a good 10 minutes before yelling, "Only took 2 of us to do that job in my day."I can almost picture myself being that man someday. I of course hope to be much more friendly than that, but I'm sure I will think such things.

A couple weeks ago , during a class break, I decided to go get myself a candy bar. I had been craving one for quite some time now and I couldn't even remember when the last time I had one was. So I went down to the little concession stand and noticed there was no price listed for any of them. I pondered what the price might be for a second, and decided to go ahead and get it. Once I saw the price get rung up, I immediately regretted my decision: $1.16 for a candy bar. Being the frugal man I am, I hate spending money on such pointless things as candy even if it is just a dollar, but I especially hate it when it is over a dollar. Now I am not too ignorant to know that this price isn't really out of the ordinary, but I guess I kind of hoped being at a school they would maybe have cheaper prices since everyone there is a poor student. After 5 years of college, I should definitely know better than this. With everything from books to food, the only time you get cheaper prices for anything as a student is when you are off campus. So anyways, even though I wanted to reject the cashier right then and there, in order to avoid any embarrassment or whatnot, I pulled out two $1 dollar bills and reluctantly handed them over for this overpriced reese's peanut butter cup. After leaving I reminisced about my old grade school's vending machines where you could get a candy bar or bag of chips and a soda for exactly $1. Thats right, 50 cents for a soda, or 50 cents for a food item, or $1 for both. It was the best deal ever really. Those were the good old days. The prices were never raised until sometime midway through high school which is when I stopped buying from them. I'm sure my parents can talk of the days when they could get both for a quarter or something like that, but I am just glad I was born in time to experience really being able to get something satisfying with just 1 dollar.

I then proceeded to eat this item, and I didn't even enjoy it. If sugar poisoning was a real disease, it felt like I was injecting it right into my veins by eating this thing. Have peanut butter cups always been that stinking sweet? I have always loved those things, but this one seemed to taste like I might as well have been pouring sugar down my throat. I was sorely disappointed by this high priced item I just bought. Thats all folks.

5 comments:

thefamousnic said...

Did you know in high school my best friend and I had a two year competition to see who could be the best old man? Anything elderly we would do would warrent Old Man Points. I actually thought of that game when I saw you and didn't know you. That's a compliment.

You should have got a Almond Joy.

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your good old days story, But I have to say the “REALLL GOOD OL DAYS” were back in my youth when a large sized snickers bar cost 5 cents and a 16 ounce coke was a dime. We (the nieborhood kids and myself) would load up my red rider wagon with old pop bottles we saved, and take a walk down to the speedy mart store which was our generations 7/11 store. Then trade them in for a bountiful $1.50 or so, which was more than enough money to do some serious sugar damage to ourselves, which we were more than happy to commence into doing. To this day, I am amazed there aren’t any long term side effects from those oblivious sugar eating marathons we plunged ourselves into. Or, maybe there are, and I’m just the only one that doesn’t know.
Anyway, to say the least I enjoyed what you had to say, and I do agree that every generation gets to cherish their very own “good old days” reminiscencing about their child hood when life was much slower and simpler. What a great little mini vacation.
it is to look back on all those fond old memories and enjoy the time that has passed, once again.
I love you Shaun,
Dad

shaun said...

Nic, that sounds like the best game ever created, and I always take that as a compliment. sorry, but I'm not a fan of the almond joy. I like coconut in some things, but not so much in candy bars. And dad, I think that might be the first time I have ever seen anything written by you that wasn't some sort of business contract or business related, or a birthday card. I rather enjoyed reading a story by you, and hearing more about your childhood. You should do it more often. I think every kid probably sneaks in those candy days. I remember riding my bike to 7/11 once or twice and stocking up hoping you wouldn't ask me what I ate that day. I love you too Dad.

Anonymous said...

I remember in elementary school at MCA we used to be able to buy snack at recess, and I would always get corn nuts. I don't remember how much they cost, but I am sure at 8 years old I didn't have much of a concept of money anyways, but all that mattered was I had enough for corn nuts.

Love
Nicole

shaun said...

I remember You and Karina always getting corn nuts, but I was never much of a fan. Then Chris would always tell Karina that corn nuts gave you diarrhea. She would always refute this, but then one night after she had a bag, she was in the bathroom for a very long time. When She finally came out Chris and I were laughing at her, but she refused to blame the corn nuts. Good memories. Miss you sister.