Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Then one day you look and find 5 years have got behind

Well, this summer marks 5 years out of high school. Crazy to think about how fast it has gone by. There is no reunion planned that I know of, but I think it would have been nice to see everyone again. Makes me wonder about what I have to show for the first 5 years of my adult life. Well, I have 5 years of schooling to show; however, no degree, just give me another year or so alright. Despite no degree, I do think I have some life experiences in those 5 years that I would not trade for any degree. I have lived in 4 different locations, each one adding a little twist to the person I have become, and have even had a month of pretty much living in a car as I traveled to far distant lands. I've done a lot, and haven't done a lot more, I've learned a whole bunch, and forgotten a whole bunch too, but have been slowly growing up through it all. I've changed plenty. Things I used to care about don't really bother me at all now, and the opposite is true of other things. For instance, just last week I bought a pair of old navy shoes for $12.99 that are close to the exact same thing as van shoes that go for $40 or so. 8 or so years ago, this action would have have seemed inconceivable to me, but now, I like these shoes even moreso for their having no real brand, and feel that they are even cooler because I got them for under $15. Anyways, I wonder how my life might be different if I just went straight into a 4 year university, lived on campus, and got that degree straight up. Well, I would have likely only lived in 2 different locations, school and home, and I would have completely different friends, and be in a very different situation than I am now. Maybe it would have been better, you never know, but it just as well might have been much worse. Living on a college campus with the same great people for a couple years is no doubt an amazing experience, but I don't think I'd change everything I did for that.
Anyways, I have decided just for my own pleasure, to write out the last five years of my life in a sort of memoir, or summary. I will be writing this more for myself than any of you as it will be just a recap of each of the last five years of my life so that I won't grow old and forget about what life was like at this age. It probably won't be too entertaining, but if you care to get to know me that much, then read on. You can look forward to the next couple of posts being a past year in the life of Shaun. I might get bored though and throw a random one in there just to keep you few readers on your toes. To end this, here is a song that I kind of stole the title to this post from. In case you haven't noticed, pretty much all of my titles are stolen from songs that relate in some way to that post. This one is quite good, so I am going to share where I stole it from. Here it is:

Time

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in the relative way, but youre older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought Id something more to say

-Pink Floyd

1 comment:

kylee said...

i like that song a lot. can't wait to read more about the last five years.