Sunday, August 3, 2008

One year to the day

This Day in History

On August 3
1492 Christopher Columbus left Spain with three ships. The voyage would lead him to what is now known as the Americas.
1914 Germany declared war on France. The next day, World War I began when Britain declared war on Germany.
1923 Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as the 30th president of the U.S. after the sudden death of President Harding.
1933 The Mickey Mouse Watch was introduced for the price of $2.75.
1936 Jesse Owens won the first of his four Olympic gold medals.
1943 Gen. George S. Patton verbally abused and slapped a private. Later, Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower ordered him to apologize for the incident.
1949 The National Basketball Association was formed. The league was formed by the merger between the Basketball Association of America and the National Basketball League.
1956 Bedloe's Island had its name changed to Liberty Island.
1966 Lenny Bruce overdosed on morphine at the age of 40.
1984 Mary Lou Retton won a gold medal at the Los Angeles Summer Olympics.
1992 The U.S. Senate voted to restrict, and eventually end the testing of nuclear weapons.
1995 Eyad Ismoil was flown from Jordan to the U.S. to face charges that he had driven the van that blew up in New York's World Trade Center.

2007- Shaun moved to Idaho



Yep, been here a full year to the day now. Still is weird to me to think that I actually live in Idaho. Who could have ever guessed it. People still look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I moved here from Huntington Beach California, but its been a pretty good year. And now we start the 2nd.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

And a couple of days after you got here, you came to my birthday party!

shaun said...

Which is where I had my first experience of gluten free cake and saw the weirdest looking dog ever.

Heidi said...

lol.