Sunday, August 31, 2008

I got a name

This last week got me thinking... Every first day of school, the professor calls out everybody's name to take roll, and there always seems to be that one person in the class who after hearing his or her name called, says, "please, call me ___ (some sort of nickname)." And it sometimes seemingly has no connection to their original name. So it got me to thinking, what if I, in this room full of strangers, just decided to start going by a different name. I wondered if I could pull it off and remember to respond when called upon. Could be a fun thing to try, and then if I liked it, maybe carry it out into other social circles of my life.

The name I would probably choose would be Jack. I have always liked that name, and always kind of wished it was my name. I was told I was almost named that but Shaun was eventually chosen over it. Not that I have anything against Shaun, it does have a nice meaning and all. its just that growing up, I never once knew of a Jack within a decades age of me, but always had five other Shauns, Seans, or Shawns, just within my group of friends, which definitely got kind of annoying. The sad thing about Jack, is that I recently heard it is currently on the top ten list worldwide for newborn boy names. Kind of takes the fun out of the name, but I like to think I started the trend with naming my dog Jack 11 years ago. Plus it is a bit of a family name as it was my Grandpa's name. Plus C.S. Lewis, my favorite author, when he was only a toddler and hardly able to talk, pointed at himself and said, "Me is Jack," and was henceforth called that the rest of his life. I'd also like to be able to consider myself a Jack of all trades someday, and know a little bit about everything. Plus it is just a simple, cool, old fashion name. So there are many reasons for my liking the name, and so I think from here on out, I declare, me is Jack.

Nah, I'm only kidding.

1 comment:

abby christensen said...

when i moved to idaho i was going to always be abby marie, instead of just abby. not much of a change but still a little. but even that i couldn't keep up with.
sometimes i think names are silly because we are completely identified by them, but didn't chose them ourselves. sometimes i wonder if we grow into our names or if they end up shaping who we are. interesting to think about.