Sunday, June 8, 2008

Astral Weeks

Well, this last week before I head back to the stressful living of papers and tests in summer school was a good one. A week to remember in fact. Something fun seemed to happen every day. We'll start on Wednesday, since I can't remember Tuesday. Wednesday started off with a fun lunch at a nice little restaurant called Rick's Press Room in downtown Meridian. The rest of the day included card games, a picnic at the lake, a movie, and good friends all around.

Thursday was Boys day in Boise, which seems to be becoming a semi-regular event for us boys. It contained good food, lots of walking, little shopping, relaxing time in the park with a book, and more good food. I headed back to Nampa around 5ish, and once back, was kidnapped by 3 girls and taken back to Boise to go to Anthropologie. Alright, maybe I conceded to the kidnapping, but I'm a little embarrassed that I actually agreed to go to a female clothing store instead of watch the Laker game. Once there, I sat on a couch with some good books, and waited. We then met up with some more friends, some of the very same ones I was with earlier in the day, and had more good food. On the way back I learned that I kind of know a former Miss Preteen USA. Thats right, The Miss Preteen of the entire United States of America from like 10 years ago: crazy. That was the end of that day.

The next day I helped a friend move some stuff for like an hour, then headed to Caldwell to go to thrift stores with a great new friend. Found some good things like a snoglobe (only it was leaves falling, not snow) of an old man holding a rake with a bit of a frown on his face and a pipe in his mouth. For only 50 cents, I kind of had to buy it. I then had to talk myself out of buying a cool old Record player cabinet from like the 60's that still works. Maybe if I had somewhere to put it. I then had some more good food, had some fun losing badly in a game of rummicube, and then headed back to Nampa. Flying M had some good music going, so I hung out there. After that, I hung out with the band The Great White Jenkins who were some really cool, really fun guys who we had a lot in common and a good amount to talk about with. We all had a good time and spent like an hour and many dollar bills trying to get the Cleveland Browns stuffed football out of the claw machine that grabs the stuffed animals. Caleb, being a big Browns fan, has been eyeing that thing for quite a while, and the band was bound and determined to get it for him. It was in a pretty much unreachable spot, but we tried nonetheless and grabbed 2 giraffe looking animals in the process just to get them out of the way. We tried several different strategies at getting to it, but all proved to be failures, but hey, we got two giraffe looking creatures out of it, plus a really great time. To all my California friends, they are gonna be playing at UC Irvine on June 14 if you want to hear great music and meet cool people.

The following day, which was Saturday, involved a high school graduation party/siesta. Here there was good food, good people, and a PiƱata stuffed with white flower that the poor blindfolded kid kept on hitting without knowing he was smacking flour all over himself. It was a good time. The night time was work time, and we once again had music. After work, I once again hung out with the band of the night who were on their first tour and fresh out of high school. They were a nice bunch, and somewhere along the lines, I was wondering why something seemed familiar about them, and then it hit me... They are real life incarnations of characters from the old show freaks and geeks, this bunch:



They looked like them, and even had very similar personalities. I almost think someone should tell them of this cuz they could probably do something profitable with their likeness to these characters. They were a great group though, and I wish them well on the rest of their first tour.

Today I worked in the morning, have a meeting with my book club this evening, and a Laker game to watch tonight. Life is good...at least until tomorrow.

No comments: