Monday, July 7, 2008

Homework Break

I am taking a break from writing for school to write for pleasure. I have to write a long paper relating C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia to Plato's Republic. It has been annoying thus far. It seems every time I think I've got something to really start going with to try to prove, I will keep reading trying to find more material to help prove my point, but instead I just read something that completely contradicts what I had hoped they were gonna say, and I then have to completely rethink everything. It is getting annoying.

Nevertheless, I really like this Plato guy. C.S. Lewis was clearly strongly inspired by him, and I have always been a huge fan of Mr. Lewis. What amazes me most about Plato is his theology. His thoughts and ideas about who God is and what He must be like are quite similar to standard Christian theology. The amazing thing about him though, is that he didn't have a book to read that is supposed to tell you all about who God is. He just figured it all out logically concluding that God must be all these things and this way for Him to be God at all, and He could be nothing else. I also heard that Paul the apostle was a bit of a Plato enthusiast. I should probably give some credit to Socrates too since you never really know which one of them really came up with all of this, but it was Plato who wrote it down, but he wrote it down through the dialog of Socrates, so it all gets quite confusing.

Being raised so heavily in the Bible, I never really thought that ancient people outside of the Jews or other Biblical characters ever thought about God similar to the way I do now, or even worshiped Him, but some did. It seems rather obvious now, but I never really thought about it.
Alright, thats about it.

No comments: